Friday, September 30, 2005

Weird Laws

OK, Annie you inspired this one with your comment about illegal names. I'm not sure if all of these are real, but here are some strange U.S. laws I found in perusing the internet. Of course, I suspect many of these were either laws in the past that just haven't been changed or laws that are not really enforced.

  • In Alabama it is illegal to have a mustache that causes laughter in church.
  • In Alaska it is illegal to feed alcoholic beverages to a moose.
  • In Alaska it is illegal to stampede a penguin (just kidding, lumps).
  • In Nogales, Arizona it is illegal to wear suspenders.
  • In San Francisco it is illegal to wipe a car with used underwear.
  • In several states, it is legal to beat your wife, but only once a month.
  • In Florida, single women cannot parachute on Sundays.
  • In Illnois it is illegal for women weighing more than 200 pounds to wear shorts while riding a horse.
  • In Florida, having relations with a porcupine is illegal.
  • In Pennsylvania, a man cannot become governor if he has participated in a duel.
  • The Encyclopedia Brittanica is banned in Texas as it includes a recipe for home-brewed beer.
  • Margarine cannot be served in Wyoming state prisons. The very idea!

For more great laws, go to http://www.dumblaws.com/

4 Comments:

At September 30, 2005, Blogger Molly said...

Wow....if I ever have to go to prison I sure hope it's in Wyoming.

I wish it was illegal for restaurants to serve margarine.....YUCK!!!

 
At October 01, 2005, Blogger Annie said...

Oooh, I'm flattered!! :)

Well, I must say, these laws are even better (or worse) than the forbidden names-law.
And Texas is just the weirdest place! You know, in Norway we have an expression when things are more than just a little weird, you don't know how to describe it and certainly have no idea how it came to be like it. We say something like: "It's gone all Texas!" Not sure if this is only a Norwegian expression though...

Oh, I hope you guys aren't from Texas!! I forgot to check the profiles before posting...

 
At October 04, 2005, Blogger quint said...

It's gone all Texas! Ha! I have a few theories on how that came to be...

And no, hipp is right. If you had a few New York jokes or expressions, chances are we made them up - they would SO not offend us. We'd laugh even harder, I bet...

 
At October 05, 2005, Blogger Annie said...

Hmm... I don't have any NY jokes. But if I come up with any (I mean, if I happen upon them completely accidentally, of course) I let ya know ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home