Thursday, December 08, 2005

The pre-U2 report

OK. In just over 24 hours I'm heading to the snowed-in city to the west to see, arguably, one of the greatest bands of all time.

I hope they sing a Christmas song!

I went to a pro football (not soccer, you crazy Euro-folk!) game a few weeks back with my aunt, uncle and dad. We had a fantastic time - my uncle is a season-ticket holder. He's got these really nice seats that are actually covered up in the outdoor stadium, and the seats even have a switch under them to turn on a heater! I actually got hot at the game and had to turn my seat off! (This is a big tangent, but the seats also have their own private restrooms and restaurant indoors behind them, and waitresses will bring your beer, I mean, nutritious food, too you.) The game was so fun! Anyhow, afterwards, we all got talking about the concert I was going to, and I found out that my aunt and uncle are going to the same concert!

I have good tickets, floor, general admission, so I'll get to see Bono sing up close. The aunt and uncle have lousy seats - they'll be able to touch the arena roof. But we're going out afterwards, and that'll be fun. And I booked myself a hotel room. So I'll be able to enjoy going out, except for the cold...

I heard a U2 song on the radio - "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" - yesterday, and I started to wonder, how many people on this planet have a U2 song as their theme song? U2, whether you like them or don't, is a band for the ages. The soundtrack of our lives, all of our lives, could fit a U2 song on it. (At this point I started to wonder what my theme song is. I got frightened when I realized it might be "wannabe" by the Spice Girls. I take that back...my song is "wishlist" by pearl jam - the greatest. band. ever.)

I like "With or Without You." The bass line gets me, it's electric. I really just want to hear a Christmas song.

3 Comments:

At December 08, 2005, Blogger Annie said...

"The Joshua Tree" is the one album I've listened to the most during the eight years it's been since I discovered U2 (horrible sentence, but just read it again - it will eventually make sense). I love the whole CD, and that doesn't happen a lot.

My theme song... It must be something by U2, but I'm not sure which one. Maybe I have a whole theme album?

This is a ridiculouts thing to say (I mean, it's U2! How can you not have a fantastic time), but have a fantastic time at the concert!

 
At December 08, 2005, Blogger quint said...

Oh I will, I guarantee that! I've only been looking forward to it for 8 months now!! Plus, I'm excited to go out afterwards...it's just gonna be a rockin' weekend! And you sit tight; expect a full review monday...or tuesday...if I don't wake up Monday....

 
At December 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

pearl jam is not the greatest band ever, blondie is.

and that was not your seat getting hot, it was you, from that kermit impressionist girl in front of you.

and i agree, U2 is one of the best bands ever, and you are a lucky dog. can i go?

and the lead singer for Third Day sounds just like bono.

and, and and. thats all folks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home